Friday 10 January 2014

2013 in review

10th January.

Well, it hasn't quite been a full year since I began this breakfast blog, but this seems like an apt place to pause, take stock, and look forward to the breakfasts that 2014 will bring.

I have received a surprising amount of feedback about this blog, which is very exciting. Thanks to those of you who have followed my artery-clogging adventure throughout the last year and have said nice things about it. Also thank-you to everyone who agreed to join me for breakfast and put up with my scribblings whilst trying to engage me in polite conversation. You were all very lovely and great to share the breakfasts with.

I have decided to order the venues I have visited and their cooked breakfasts in a crude league table, as a point of comparison. At some point when I've more time I'll go back and order this list more thoroughly. As it is, the venues with matching scores are ordered randomly:


Montpelier Cafe - 4.5/5
Iydea - 4/5
Mange Tout - 4/5
Seven Bees - 4/5
Bill's - 4/5
Cafe Motu - 4/5
Soup-Urb - 4/5
Mad Hatter - 4/5
Wai Kika Moo Kau - 4/5
Langelees - 4/5
Kemp Town Bistro - 3.5/5
Fiveways Deli - 3.5/5
Tutti Frutti (I don't think this exists now!) - 3.5/5
Galleria - 3/5
Billie's Cafe - 3/5
Inside Out - 3/5
Kensingtons - 3/5
Infinity Foods Cafe - 2/5
Post and Telegraph - 2/5
Rock Ola - 2/5
Wild Cherry - 2/5
Dumb Waiter - 2/5
Spinelli - 2/5
Cosy Cottage - 2/5


There's a lot of good stuff out there, but more excitingly there's a heck of a lot more stuff that I have yet to sample. I think I will long run out of friends before I run out of places to visit, and should probably start drafting up an ad for Gumtree which I can use to find more breakfast companions.

"WANTED: Companion for one cooked breakfast, willing to say things whilst I go about scribbling and/or eating in contemplation. Being able to make nice suggestions/tell interesting life stories preferable but not essential. Meat eaters welcome. Just about."

As well as the regular breakfasting that this blog documents, I have another project in the pipeline for 2014. You may well be aware that I am keen fan of the sport known in most places as football. You may also be aware that this year is a World Cup year, and for a period of three weeks 32 nations will do battle across the pitches of Brazil attempting to be crowned champions of the world. During this time, I aim to make those 32 nations do battle across my breakfast table, and see which has the best cooked breakfast. Early favourites include Mexico and Ghana, and I am very excited to find out what I would be eating if I hailed from Bosnia-Herzegovina or Iran for example. Sadly Scotland will not be participating. If they were, they'd stand a good chance of getting out of the group stages. At Xmas time my Dad prepared a pretty epic Scottish dish which would have put him in pole position for the golden spoon award.

The Derek Xmas Special
Anyhow, I shall be hopefully forging ahead into the new year with another cooked breakfast this Sunday. Fingers crossed. If you'd like to join me some time, and/or if you know of anywhere that I should pay a visit to, just let me know! Happy fastbreaking for 2014 one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment